Progress on our DA has definitely slowed since working on our Beta assignment, however we have made lots of great changes to Astrology Lane throughout the prototyping stage.
Instagram is where most of Astrology Lane’s content is based.
During the prototyping stage we have made the following changes:
- new aesthetic. We moved on from our earthy tones and have decided on a more pleasing pastel palette.
- new series. We have created a new series of posts using information from our blog, which we have decided to discontinue due to poor engagement.
- engaging with followers. We have done this through creating discussion in the comments of our posts as well as asking questions on our story.
- collaboration. We worked with Lucy at Into Our Garden and created Instagram posts for both of our accounts about plants and astrology.
Our Spotify playlists were posted during the prototyping stage. This was in an attempt to expand our DA as well as create astrology content on a non-traditional social media site. We have received positive feedback from followers and other BCM114 students and tutors about these playlists and hope to continue to develop these through the next phase of our DA.
The only issue with our playlists was that Spotify also released similar playlists just after ours were posted. This was a bit disheartening due to the attention they received.
We created a Twitter account for Astrology Lane around the time our Beta was due. We hoped to use this platform to connect with a new community of followers, as well as post content that was different from our Instagram, such as memes. This has remained fairly inactive since creation, so we hope to begin posting on there soon.
During the prototyping stage we realised that our WordPress blog was not attracting a lot of attention, despite posting content our followers had asked for. We have decided to discontinue the blog. To not waste the work we put into it, we have used the information we posted to create a new series on our Instagram.
- We still currently have stickers and prints in the works and hope to release these in the near future. We have tried to work on ways to make these items affordable and accessible to everyone, and have been trying to follow the FIST ideology closely.
- We have the opportunity to expand to other platforms such as Tumblr and Pinterest.
- IGTV is something we are definitely interested in making content for.
- We have plans to create more collaborations with other DAs such as Baking Bad and Enventure.